Facilitation, UX research, wireframing, rebranding, UI design
Rethinking a phone webshop branding and architecture
One of the first holistic projects in terms of approach was this rebranding and design for a phone webshop (2015). I organized the initial strategy brainstorm, intake, rebranding strategy, and UX architecture. Together with a coworker, I created visual designs and a large number of custom icons and illustrations.
The first milestone was a strategy meeting, where we determined the focus of the rebranding and brainstormed for ideas that would set the website apart.
End of the strategy meeting in a matrix of ideas
What I believe to be useful about meetings like this, which have a clear strategy and templates to work on ready to go, is that they are structured yet free. The key is bringing all the stakeholders on board so they have a clear vision of the project proceedings. This is where I was able to for the first time apply my facilitation skills in a professional setting.
In the stakeholder meeting, some help center employees were also present, whom we relied on heavily for the argumentation of design choices. From some of their found painpoints for customers, we derived opportunities.
After the stakeholder brainstorm, some opportunities were derived:
– Making the checkout and delivery process as easy to understand as possible, also for non-native Dutch speakers;
– Having plenty of help and troubleshooting in the correct places;
– Allowing the user to freely explore upsells and extra insurance;
– Having an affordable, friendly, and explanatory nature.
The intake meeting led to some core principles for their brand, which I summarized in a brand book.
To tackle these opportunities further, we decided to approach it like a rebranding first.
From my internship in a product design firm, I learned a bit about how to approach a branding project. I proposed to the stakeholders to take this on for this project as well.
Parallel to the UX architecture and the branding, I worked on logo designs for the shop.
I would not call myself a logo designer necessarily, yet I found myself making logo recommendations after delivering the brand book and the stakeholders were enthusiastic about the approach. I got the green light to pursue it further and ended up delivering the final logo as well. I liked having the control and the freedom to explore, which was ideal in this stage of my career.
After some more conversations and scoping, initial wireframes were constructed
In this project I had the opportunity to explore some more tools for wireframing. I had been used to creating wireframes in Balsamiq and adobe illustrator in university, and now was building things in UXpin. It was interesting to explore the more high level wireframes in a tool that is also very suitable for (simple) visual design. This being one of my first projects straight out of university, I quickly discovered that it really depends on the client’s needs when it comes to tooling. This became an important part of how I now do scoping and intake.
The combination of the UX architecture, rebranding and visual design activities led to the following approach:
– Implementing a clear, 2 step checkout, with additional help pages easily available
– Designing and building a help center and FAQ;
– See possible propositions in a scannable and compact way
– Using flat design and illustrations to emphasize the brand character.
Together with my design colleague, we created visual designs for the webshop.
My favorite part of this project was that it was one of my first more complete, design-centric client projects. I liked being able to explore the deliverables that were useful for the stakeholders, and that I was able to quickly switch between strategic design and product design.